Minimum pricing for alcohol is being introduced in Wales on 2nd March 2020
- It will set a floor price for alcohol, meaning that alcohol cannot be sold or supplied below that price.
- Minimum pricing for alcohol aims to reduce the excessive consumption of alcohol and the significant and widespread harms which can be caused by hazardous and harmful drinking. Alcohol is a major cause of death and illness in Wales.
- It leads to a number of health and social harms, particularly for the significant minority of people who drink to excess.
- In 2018, there were 535 alcohol-related deaths in Wales; and in 2018-19, there were nearly 60,000 alcohol attributable hospital admissions. All of these harms are preventable.
- Evidence demonstrates there is a link between drinking at harmful levels and the availability of cheap alcohol, with minimum pricing being effective in reducing alcohol consumption among hazardous and harmful drinkers.