• Arabian Tea.
  • Miraa
  • Ghat
  • Chat
  • Cat
  • Qat
  • Khat
  • Catha Edulis
  • Methcathinone
  • Cathinone (Aminopropiophenone)

Drugs A-Z

Scientific Names: Catha edulis from the Celastraceae family.

Generic Names: Enwau Generig: Catha Edulis

An example of what Khat looks like
A flowering evergreen shrub native to tropical East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. In its natural form, leaves and stems.

Desired Effects:

Talkative, mild euphoria & excitement, alertness, excitement, dilated pupils.

Side Effects:

Insomnia, loss of appetite, dry mouth, hyperactivity, constipation.

Long term risks:

Depression, irritability, psychological dependence. May have negative effects on liver function, susceptibility to ulcers and lowered sex drive.

Short term risks:

Anxiety, manic behaviour, paranoia, tolerance.
Central nervous system stimulant. Khat contains the chemicals cathinone and cathine which are amphetamine-like stimulants, but Khat is much less potent.
The fresh leaves and stems are chewed, or can be brewed into a tea.
If brewed into a tea, tea making equipment.
Khat has been used in parts of East Africa and the Arabian peninsula for centuries. Khat chewing has a long history as a social custom amongst the communities from these areas. It is used in some Somali, Yemeni and Ethiopian communities in Britain.
Most areas of the UK have 'street agencies' or projects (sometimes called community drug services or community drug teams) which offer a range of services including information and advice, counselling, needle exchanges and sometimes support groups and complementary therapies such as acupuncture. Multicultural organisations may be able to advise on local sources of expertise on khat. The increase in stimulant use has led to some agencies offering specialist counselling, cognitive behaviour therapy, acupuncture and other alternative therapies and prescribing of anti-depressants, and also possible referral to residential rehabilitation. Some services have extended working hours and may offer weekend support. GPs and possibly the local hospital A&E department can make referrals to specialist drug services as well as general medical services, information and advice often in partnership with a drug agency or Drug Dependency Unit.

Parents & other relatives

Drug agencies also provide lots of advice and support to parents of people using these drugs. Many street agencies can provide relative support groups or counselling for family members, partners etc.

Or text DAN to: